Utada Hikaru - Wait and See

Sunday, May 10, 2009

OFFStyle, ONStyle, WINDStyle


In most fashion magazines, especially those catering to Japanese men who are endeavoring to be trendsetters, there will be a section on hairstyles for men, and every hairstyle has a "off" look and an "on" look. Basically, the former is for casual occasions and can be achieved with minimal effort while the latter is for more formal occasions, i.e. work and requires some time and hard work, usually with hard wax or hair spray.

If I had to choose between these two, I would prefer "off" to "on", because I don't believe in putting too much effort into styling one's hair. This does not mean that I am an unkempt person who does not bother about my appearance. On the contrary, I feel that one should be confident enough to appear before others in one's "off" look, in other words, OFFStyle.

Of course, all of us could do with a little help, and this is where WINDStyle comes in. In terms of hair, WINDStyle refers to the aid of the wind in obtaining the desired hairstyle naturally. There is a term Kamikaze in Japanese, and this translates to the Wind of the God(s) literally. To me, the wind is like an embodiment of a Higher Power, and therefore, my ideal style would be WINDStyle, which is achieved with divine assistance.

WINDStyle can be applied not only to hairstyles, it can also be extended and expanded for use in other aspects of life. That I leave to the creativity of my dear readers.

PS: The photo above shows me and my hairstylist in Tokyo. b(^-^)d

No comments: