Utada Hikaru - Wait and See

Thursday, June 05, 2008

This song...

"When you hear this song, you will think of me, won't you?"

"Yes, I'll think of you and your smile, that smile on your face that subtly reflects the sorrow in the brilliant hazel of your eyes."

~Uno~”怪我してもいい、はじけるような笑顔の向こう側を見たいよ”

That was the last time I saw you smile. In fact, it was the last time I saw you. At the bus stop.

~Dos~”バスに乗り込んで行く 後姿をそって見つめてた”

You never saw me looking at your back as you boarded the bus bound for Tokyo, did you?

No, I didn't, but I seem to hear a voice shouting "Thank you for everything", a voice that sounded like yours.

~Tres~”君が最後まで 心から 「ありがとう」叫んでいたこと 知っていたよ”

Unlike someone who cannot speak to save himself.

Now that you mention it, we never did get to say goodbye, did we?

I did not, because you told me not to.

If you did, I had this feeling I might not see you again.

I left before you did, emotionally.

~Cuatro~”僕のとなりには君がもういない、君のとなりには僕はもう...”

And I left, I left before you did, physically.

It was written in the stars, before we even met, before we knew of each other's existence.

~Cinco~”雲のない星空が マドの向こうに続いている”

The stars will keep on shining, the same way the river of Time keeps on flowing.

But pray, tell me, when will your tears stop flowing? And the color of your tears, black or white, or perhaps silver?

~Seis~”優しくされると泣けてくる やっぱり アナタハ ズルイヒト”

Yes, I am still crying, because of him or because I let you go, I still do not know.

Yes, you were always so gullible, so easily touched by his kindness and his gentle words.

Hmm, you know me so well.

I guess I do, about as well as you know me. Since the first day we met. And everyday after that, we kept learning more about each other, both the strengths and the weaknesses.

~Siete~”初めて逢った日によそよそしく あれから色々あって 時にはケンカもして 解りあうためのトキ過ごしたね”

I can only remember my first impression of you was that you were an indifferent person, but as the days passed, I knew there was more to you than your seemingly cold and aloof demeanor, even though I could not make you take off your mask.

You couldn't. You could not know the real me, because I concealed my concern in a crimson chamber, and sealed that chamber within a fortress of ice. However, you came closer than most.

Still, I was not close enough. In the end, I had to admit defeat. I lost to myself, and I fell in love with him, he who was gentle and kind, he who caught me in his arms when I fell. But falling in love with someone and loving someone is different. Especially when the person I loved was you.

I know, but there was a reason why I couldn't catch you in my arms when you fell that time.

~Ocho~”ねぇわかるでしょ? あたし待ってるよ”

I waited and waited, in vain for Spring to come, but in the end what the angels sprinkled from the heavens above was white, not pink.

Is that why you left?

That's why I left, because you could not be there for me, not emotionally when you were by my side physically, not physically when you were there for me emotionally.

~Nuevo~”伝えたい気持ち言えずに 君は行っちまった”

You left, because I could not express my feelings adequately, because I could not speak the words that you wanted to hear from my lips.

And now, here we meet again, in the middle of nowhere. In the middle of the night, in our dreams. I wish this dream in which we are humming the same tune will come true.

~Diez~”同じ唄を 口ずさむ時 そばにいて I wish”

I finally pluck up the courage, and pick up the phone.

"もしもし", Hearing your voice again feels so surreal.

I can't imagine seeing your face again.

When we finally meet face to face. After an eternity.

~Once~”千の夜を越えて 今あなたに会いに行こう 伝えなきゃならないことがる”

The stars are going to bed when I finally put down the phone.

Your voice still resonates in that crimson chamber of mine.

~Doce~”ああ 今日はこのまま good night”

You know something, I think the snow is melting.

Yes, I can feel it too.

~Trece~”冬が終わり 雪が溶けて 僕の心に 春が舞い込む”

No comments: