Utada Hikaru - Wait and See

Monday, November 05, 2007

Eins, zwei, drei...

I prefer zehn. No, not zen, but with an h. My favorite number. Why? Because it has so many meanings. Take them apart, and you get the basics of the digital system. 1 o 1 o 1 o 1 o ....

Put them together, and you get full marks 10/10.

1+9=2+8=3+7=4+6=5+5=10

What's more, the 10th month is October, my birthday month.

I like languages, and though my major is in an almost entirely different field, I suppose my penchant for learning little phrases here and there will not fade even as time goes by.

Guten Morgen=Buenos dias=Good morning=Ohayo=Zao An=Selamat pagi

I was thinking about our childhood dreams, our ideals, our wishes. Most of them don't come true, do they? But that doesn't stop us from trying. One of my many wishes/dreams/li xiang is to be able to speak 7~10 languages fluently. haha, go on, laugh at me if you will. I don't mind, because I know I can be quite the silly fool at times. But I do have my serious side, and it is not just a whim when I say that I want to be able to speak many languages.

The 7~10 languages I would like to speak are, not in order of merit
English
Chinese(Mandarin)
Japanese
Spanish
Korean
French
German
Malay
Russian
Thai

My motivation is simple : I want to go on a round-the-world trip, and if I know all these languages, I would have little difficulty communicating with the locals. :)

In reality though, I am not even halfway there. My Spanish was better 3 years ago, hahaha, and other than the first 3 (English, Chinese, Japanese), I can at most say a few select phrases in the other 6.

Still, my round-the-world trip requires a lot more preparation, especially financially and in terms of the time factor, so I guess I can still make it. Do I sound like I'm in procrastination mode here?Hmm, we shall see.

Animo!Seizei ganbarina!

No comments: