It's been a while, actually ages since I stepped into a primary school. Today, I went to one, in Tokyo. Back to basics, as the saying goes. Wait, wait a minute, isn't that going back a little too far? Haha, well, I wasn't going back as a student, but as GTO (Guest Teacher Oni-chan(or O for Oji-chan), depending on how you look at it). lol
It was part of a program organised by the primary school and my alma mater Japanese language school, and the idea was to introduce Singapore to these adorable angels currently in their 4th year of primary school. I was sort of rushing 2 reports the previous night, and did not really the ample rest that I wanted, but the exuberance of the children dissolved any fatigue that I felt, and I sort of got an energy boost frm their smiles, their laughter that sounded like tinkling stars, and the sparkle in their eyes that revealed the pure innocence which we adults seem so ashamed of showing, or maybe it is because we have long since lost touch with our inner child. Since the lesson plan was up to the guest teacher, yours truly decided to make it more interactive, and I guess they liked my approach, since they were very responsive, and for the Q&A session, we ran out of time long before the children ran out of questions.
Of course, some of the questions seemed a little personal. "Why do you choose to come to Japan?" , "What are your favorite foods", "How old are you?", "Do you have a girlfriend?"
The kids were really hilarious, especially the 2 boys who asked me the last question. Can you imagine what they said? "If you don't have a girlfriend, let me be yours" haha. I was so tickled by their exaggeratedly earnest expressions. I felt a twinge of sadness when we had to say goodbye, and they were clinging to me like koalas to an eucalyptus tree. Oh well, at least they have my name/signature and the pictures and posters that I left with their teacher and I have their photos and the book that they made for me as a momento.
It was only a few hours, but thank you all for everything. This has been a wonderful experience, and it just confirmed one thing : I love kids. Especially when they are as adorable as these angels.
The kids I taught today
With their GTO
Kaneko-kun - He is so kawaii!!!
Lunch time - please sit
The kids take turns to serve lunch
Her: I spy with my pretty eyes...FOOD!!!
Him: Stop eyeing my age-pan, will you?
My lunch - Age-pan, milk, strawberries & soup
4 ladies-to-be and 2 cheeky boys behind
Flashing their pearlies-
Cameraman sensei, who has the whitest teeth of all?
We want to grow as tall as you, sensei, so we'll drink milk
Itadakimasu
Time to Eat (Age-pan) & Drink (Milk)
Utada Hikaru - Wait and See
Tuesday, January 22, 2008
Back to Primary School...
Posted by
ephemeraleternity
@
10:30:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment