On Valentine's Day, most people would think that L is for Love, that four letter word starting with L. For me, L is simply for L, my favorite character in the Death Note series.
I had a date with L today, at the cinema. Even though the story was predictable and the plot was linear, as a movie on its own, "L Change the World was" pretty good in terms of providing entertainment. By entertainment, I do not mean mindless entertainment as in those forgettable movies that you watch and forget the instant you step out of the theatre. This was a movie that had some touching moments, and I liked the characters, especially the little boy and little girl.
This is a movie that made me feel something stir in that crimson crystal in my left breast pocket.
This is a movie that made me think about life and its myriad possibilities.
On the other hand, I think most of the girls who went to watch this movie went to see L. Indeed, this was probably a movie that milked L's boyish good looks to the fullest. Even a straight guy like me thought he was cool, so I guess it's to be expected.
I will not spoil the movie for those who are going to watch it by revealing the details, but suffice it to say that this was a movie that made me think about some things.
Like the way we tend to value genius more than effort.
Like the way we tend to believe that our way is the right way.
Like the way we tend to only focus on what we want to see, what we want to hear, what we want to believe in.
The little boy and L, the little girl and L, the three of them had great chemistry. The scenes where silence ensued, these were not deserts of awkward quiet, these were oases of meaningful tranquility. I liked the way their eyes talked, the way their body language conveyed their messages to each other and to the audience.
Back to my title, L is for...
L is for...Lack, a Lack of chemistry.
L is for... Lost, I lost to myself, the day that door closed.
L is for ... Late, too Late I realized what I was missing.
L is for... Life, and my Life story is still being written.
L is for... Look, Look with your heart, and you'll find what you really want.
Utada Hikaru - Wait and See
Friday, February 15, 2008
L is for...
Posted by
ephemeraleternity
@
1:23:00 AM
Labels: Japan, MovieAnimeDrama
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment